Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Gaming versus health

So, I went to the doctor yesterday after gaming late into the night. Now, when I do this, if I sit still with nothing to do, I start to nod off, just a word to the wise so that at the story progresses you know what is going on. Before I even get done checking in they call me back to see the doctor. They take my weight and height and I almost feel good, I'm actually 4 lbs lighter than I expected. Anyways, they take me back into the examination room and as I'm sitting there I see a cartoon on the door that shows a doctor talking to a patient and saying "So which will be more convenient for you to fit into your life, an hour of exercise a day or being dead 24 hours a day?" Now, I seriously start thinking about it and I still can't answer the questions, I mean an hour a day would add up pretty quick and mean either not being prepared for my RPG I'm starting to run or several levels in my MMORPG's. Now, as they start taking my blood pressure I realize that I probably don't want to know, as the gaming life is pretty sedentary and filled with junk food. Anyways when the nurse leaves she's like, get undressed and sit on the table and the doctor will be in to see you shortly. That was the mistake, as I'm sitting there waiting, I start rocking back and forth, nothing to do and then I start nodding off. As I'm slowly rocking back and forth, back and forth I realize I'm starting to lean further and further over when it happens. I feel myself falling and snap awake only to realize I'm not falling, but my 371 lb 6'2 1/4" frame has upset a table meant for lightweights. I catch myself before toppling into the floor, stand up and hurriedly try to upright the table, only to have the nurse come rushing in, is everthing ok. Uh, yeah, I reply, the table fell over when I was leaning over. It is at this point that I realize the table has drawers, which of course flew open as the table fell, and as the nurse and I try to put things to rights, I realize the top drawer, made of molded plastic, caught the table, crushing the molded plastic and making it all but impossible to close. The nurse leaves shortly saying she will take care of it after I leave, but I try to fix the drawer anyways, only to get it back in and realize that it won't open now. That is when the doctor comes in. Now, I'm a male and my doctor is an attractive female and as the exam progresses, I'm sitting there trying to be impersonal and as she is a professional, when she asks if I mind if she tests me for testicular cancer I'm thinking what guy in his right mind doesn't want a woman gently fondling his nether regions. The problem is as a gamer, I'm so out of shape, she's finished with her task and leaving before I can get up enough energy for the expected reaction. As I'm leaving I realize that maybe an hour of exercise would be a better fit for my lifestyle, but not because of my health, but because of the negative effect not working out has on my role-playing abilities. I mean who hasn't wanted to play doctor and patient. Well, that's it for now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, I am visiting from all mediocre. You just started blogging how did you find it?

Anyhow I have an observation about your blog. It it is difficult to read your posts because the font is small and you write in one really long paragraph. Maybe for your next post you can shorten the paragraphs, that might make it easier to read. Just a suggestion. You can take it or leave it alone.

Welcome to the world of blogging and remember, have fun! But I don't need to remind you of that you are a gamer!